Incorporating high quality backlinks to your website is a fool-proof way to boost your relevance in search engine result pages. As a user browses through your content to find links to many important sites, the tone of your content changes. It renders a professional and reliable quotient to your content.
With consistent algorithm updates and improvisations, only white hat and ethical link-building methods can reap benefits. What often happens is that we tend to limit our link-building tactics to commenting on blogs and guest posts.
However, by increasing your site’s authority you can rank higher among your competitors in SERPs. For this, you need to build high quality backlinks consistently. If you are still doubtful over how to go about it, this blog will help you. Let’s get right into it!
What are Backlinks?
Backlinks are links from other, external sources/websites. They act as digital referrals. Typically, a content/page with more backlinks is most likely to generate organic traffic upon browsing.
Making your content SEO-friendly is not enough. In order to get the most of it, you need to strategize your digital marketing plans to acquire high quality backlinks.
How Do Backlinks Work?
If you end up drawing backlinks from sites of low authority, Google will not favour you. This can bring down your content’s credibility. For instance, the anchor text you draw from the external site to yours should contain the keyword of your page. This will help Google to recognize you faster.
In addition, it is recommended to be consistently updated on Google’s algorithm changes, like Google Penguin (2012). An astonishing statistics from Ahrefs reveal that nearly 66% of webpages do not entertain backlinks despite their benefits.
With clever strategies, you can easily make up for this missed opportunity and give your competitors a tough time. What sells in the digital marketing game is to be aware of what’s missing and run ahead of your competitors. We are going to help you do just that.
Here are six strategies to build high quality backlinks that you cannot miss!
1. ‘Skyscraper’ Content
Do not compromise on content quality
‘Skyscraping’ refers to discovering the better of the best content your niche/industry favours and excelling in it. This idea was brought about by Backlinko’s Brian Dean and has proven to be rather effective.
Incorporate lists, increase the visual appeal and always focus on trending topics. Building a library of your content will make it more organized and effective. This is also helpful in facilitating others to link to your content.
- Pick a piece of content that suits your industry. Make sure that it is already performing well.
- By doing extensive research, hike up the quality of your content manifold. For instance, try to answer unanswered questions and explore hitherto unexplored realms of your industry.
- Promote your skyscraper content in the most effective way. There is no scarcity of options here. By providing better quality content in the same niche, you can ask those who link to your competitors to link to your better quality content instead.
This high quality backlinks building marketing strategy seldom misses the mark. Take a look at this blog on HubSpot and learn how skyscraper content has driven nearly 70k+ page views.
2. High Quality Links
Watch over your competitors!
This industry, like multiple others, runs on the survival of the fittest. Therefore, you should be aware that not all links are of the same value. Reaching out to other blogs and websites is not enough. Make sure that you link to authoritative sites.
Outreach to highly-pursued sites and content. Check a site’s popularity using Alexa Rank, which grades millions of websites according to their relevance.
- Ensure that you reach out to those sites that link to your competitor’s content. If your competitors have linked to popular sites, you can do the same.
- Do not forget guest blogging sites. By analysing which sites have drawn guest blogs from your competitors. Utilize this opportunity to have them guest blog for your brand.
- Rebuild links that are broken/incorrect. They serve an opportunity to help you gain high quality backlinks. Upon discovering a broken link, communicate with the publisher and offer a link to your site as a replacement.
Additionally, ensure that if websites use content with graphics from your site, they are appropriately linked back to your website content.
3. Host an Event
Demand attention from Google & Social Media
By establishing offline connections, you can effectively build high quality backlinks. Use your brand name to host or sponsor events like workshops and conferences. Links from the listing sites of the event will transition into your backlinks.
Of course, the exposure your brand will garner is another benefit.
- If offline methods seem hard for you, a good supplement would be to host a podcast. Invite a relevant guest of your industry for the podcast. Soon, you can transform yourself into one and offer podcasts for others.
- Utilise social media. There is no space as democratic and cheap as the social media space for digital marketing. By being popular on social media platforms, you will raise social shares. This can in turn legitimize your relationships with influencers.
- Make your content conveniently shareable and public. By having others share your content, your brand name too will receive immense exposure.
By having your content and brand name out in the open, the chances of other brands/sites approaching you for links are higher. Hosting events, video streaming or podcasts, superb social media involvement and having high-profile guests link to your brand will help you to garner better backlinks.
4. Don’t be Confined to Textual Backlinks
Take advantage of infographics
In this era of the short-attention-span, visually appealing content will always reign supreme. Therefore, it would be an error on your part to invite links to your content solely on text and copy. Infographics, videos, charts, and other visual content can effectively be linked to other websites.
Add ample graphical appeal to your content. Focus on designing and sophistication. Search Engine Journal reveals that an infographic is 30 times more probable to be read than texts.
- Do not fail to authenticate your statistics while employing infographics. Check their relevance and make sure that they are the most recent data.
- You can use these image files alone to promote your content and brand on social media. They can be circulated as brochures and posters associated with your brand.
- Be informative. Do not simply include images for the sake of it. The point of infographics is to convey as much information as possible using visually-appealing designs. Therefore, do not compromise on content.
Infographics, like video streaming, can chip in unbelievable results. Building high quality backlinks with infographics is more probable than textual backlinks. It is proven by eye-tracking research studies that readers tend to be more attentive to content conveyed through images.
5. Link Reclamations
Converting unlinked mentions to backlinks
A lot of websites may mention you but fail to link to your content. Whether your brand is a big or small, this could happen. You need to look out for these opportunities where you can convert unlinked mentions to better backlinks.
- Although this is a time-consuming job, it can help you achieve more backlinks. By using tools like Ahrefs’s Content Explorer, you can make this task easier.
- Send e-mails to those who have mentioned you without links in their content. Request to link your website after you reach out to them.
- A piece of additional advice is to look out for the unlinked mentions of your products and company representatives. In short, anything that is associated with your brand is worthy of being a link.
Find out who all mention your brand without linking to you using this format on Google search: intext:[your brand name] -yourdomain.com -twitter.com -facebook.com -pinterest.com -youtube.com.
6. Provide Customer Testimonials
Because customers are the best brand ambassadors!
Customer testimonials not only increase the credibility of your brand/product, but also help you learn about the amendments your product/service needs to activate. Show off your trusty customer base on your webpages. Search Engine Journal estimates that 68% of customers are likely to buy from companies with positive reviews.
You can offer to write testimonials or reviews about another brand. This way, you can invite links from authoritative websites.
- High quality reviews will increase your website’s visibility through backlinks and/or unlinked mentions. The more your brand name is iterated by customers, the better!
- Your reviews may also be published on another website. If that website ranks high on Alexa Ranking, you’re good to go! Brands tend to feature testimonials enthusiastically.
- Include keywords that are relevant to your business in your reviews and emphasise on these keywords in your customer reviews. This will increase your online exposure.
By ensuring that all basic information about your firm is provided in the review, you lock the possibility of churning in backlinks to your site. Include your website name without fail.
Now, Over to You!
If you are a beginner at digital marketing, digging out techniques to invite high quality backlinks might be a tiring business. But worry not; there is a learning curve with everything. Spare some time out of your marketing games to master the art of inviting and providing backlinks. The effort that you put in will be worth it. In the long run, high quality backlinks will solidify your position among your competitors.
If you have any queries regarding building high quality backlinks, leave us a comment down below.