There exists much confusion over online marketing and its various aspects. More often than not, people find it hard to choose a definite marketing strategy and sometimes, they tend to invest in all strategies without clear research. Either of these problems can land your business into trouble. Therefore it is vital to recognize the character of your industry and your target audience before investing in an online advertising strategy.
Big or small; businesses need to know exactly where to bid. While there are free methods of online advertising as well, investing in effective paid ad strategies can double up the traffic on your website. Take a look at the most promising online marketing methods here before you map your ad campaign and decide your process.
What is Online Advertising?
Online advertising or web advertising is a marketing strategy that utilizes the portals and media available on the internet to deliver promotional messages regarding your brand and products. In the digital space, the significance of digital marketing is unavoidable. Many businesses have begun to base their marketing on online ads alone.
We will get you familiar with the most preferable six modes of advertising online and brief you on how to go about it. You can thus make an informed decision before you finalize your preferred marketing strategy.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Social Media Marketing, E-mail Marketing, Video Marketing, Retargeting and Mobile Advertising are dependable options when it comes to online marketing.
Let’s get deep into it.
1. Search Engine Marketing or PPC Ads
Getting into the first page of Google search results page is every marketer’s dream. Channelling your SEO potential can help you attain this dream, although with time.
SEM is a Pay Per Click marketing strategy. It will help you display your ads among the first four or the bottom three results on the first page. With better bids on keywords, your business can reach there faster.
How it Works?
A user who has entered your keywords will have your ad displayed as a result on their search result page. Your ranking on the page depends upon the quality and relevancy of your ad, w.r.t your competitors.
PPC offers two types of ads; search ads and display ads. Search ads are our classic results that pop up upon entering keywords. Display ads serve to increase brand awareness by appearing on other websites. Previous customers and new ones can be targeted using display ads.
- Nearly 90% of the people on the internet can be accessed to using Google Ads. This can improve visibility to a great extent.
- Display ads permit graphics and photographs to enhance the quality of your ads. Search result ads are more effective than display ads and it costs higher as well.
- Both of these strategies can be implemented simultaneously to target a larger audience.
According to Datareportal, 81% of people search online for a product. SEM is thus most likely to increase conversion rates and is proven to provide better ROI than other methods of paid online advertising.
2. Social Media Advertising
Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter can take forms of advertising channels when used rightly. With half the world’s population signing into Facebook regularly and the increased use of Instagram via smartphones, there is a high possibility in converting social media platforms into advertisement channels.
Multiple businesses have established strong social media handles, profiles and pages which are helping them guide their leads into purchasing.
Social Media advertising can help you approach customers by directing your campaign to their profiles and handles. Especially favourable to customers who are already following your profile, this advertising strategy can help them reach out to you at the right moments of requirement. Promoted ‘Tweets’, influencer marketing, etc. are additional benefits of the same.
- Social media advertising works off of the behaviour of your targeted customers. By decoding their demographics, you may easily route your ads to leads that are most likely to click.
- The visual appeal of social media advertising is unbeatable. You can even choose whether you want to pay for it or run advertisements in the forms of posts and tweets for free.
How it Works?
- The medium of your advertising can range from written to videos. You can choose live streams, irresistible deals, offers and coupons, BTS videos, animated videos and a lot more.
4 out of 10 users have revealed that they follow their favourite brands on social media. With a little effort from your end, your customers will respond fast on social media.
3. Retargeting or Remarketing
How brilliant would it be if you can serve your customer before they ask for it? This is what retargeting/remarketing does. By analysing a customer’s demographic and psychographic information, you can shoot your advertisements at leads that are most likely to be interested in your product.
How it Works?
E-mails are a favourite online advertising strategy that can work on retargeting. Social media can serve the same purpose. Dynamic product advertisements can be targeted to your customers’ social media platforms too.
It is a continuous process that cannot reap benefits by doing it once. Once a customer recurrently sees the product they are looking in every forum on the internet, they will divert back to your website.
- Retargeting e-mails ensures that your trusted customers won’t miss your ads, new offers and sales.
- Retargeting ads allow customers to swipe through products before they choose the one to whose link they will be redirected. Hence, it is highly customer-centred.
- They don’t let your customers forget about your business. This dynamic quality keeps you and your customer updated about one another.
Exclusive discounts and offers can be incorporated into retargeting ads to make them more irresistible.
4. Mobile Advertising
Mobile Display Ads, Mobile Search Ads, Mobile Videos, Mobile App Ads, exclusive social media ads for mobile devices, etc. are the multiple ways in which mobile advertising can work. This is ideal for small businesses.
With nearly 85% of people out there using smartphones, the ratio of people shopping via mobile devices has surged considerably. Also, there can be an increase of 46% in brand awareness by making it to mobile search results.
How it Works?
Similar to Display Ads, Mobile Feed Ads can display ads in a user’s timeline/profile/feed. These ads are generally labelled as ‘suggested posts’ and they too work on the behavioural pattern of customers.
If designed promisingly, these mobile ads can arrest a customer’s attention long enough for them to take a detour to your website.
- The compact quality of these ads renders them a very user-friendly quality. Since they run on smartphones, these ads can increase conversion rates more rapidly.
- 82% of customers check their phones while they are in a store. Shoppers are consistently looking for options even whilst shopping. Thus, smartphone advertising can prove to be rather economical.
5. E-mail Advertising
Even though it dates back a few years, e-mail advertising still has around 4.29% of conversion rates on an average. Sending a possible customer an e-mail is similar to paying a personal visit to their home to familiarise them with your new offers and plans. It is personalised, exclusive and extremely organized.
How it Works?
Once the e-mail ID of a lead reaches your database, you can send brochures, newsletters, sales letters, catalogues, etc. to the person. What has to be ensured is that e-mails shouldn’t be irritably recurrent and dull.
Designing a perfect marketing e-mail is a job that requires expertise. A good proportion of visual and verbal content has to be maintained in order to craft a perfect e-mail.
- Direct mailing system enables you to have one-on-one communication with customers. It helps in making them feel unique.
- E-mail marketing is creative and it offers a more formal, official and serious aura to your brand as opposed to social media campaigns and miscellaneous methods.
- According to Wordstream, 21% of a company’s revenue has been the contribution of e-mail marketing campaigns. It is a great way to hike up sales.
E-mail marketing favours segmentation which promotes more clicks, lower un-subscription rates and fewer bounces. This is a rather desirable online advertising feature.
6. Video Marketing
Video ads are today’s biggest game-changers. From short seconds-long videos to long advertisements; each has its own market and customer base. People automatically gravitate towards video content due to its efficiency and reliability. Video ads can do miracles at establishing a brand because much of its impact is upon the visual appeal.
How it Works?
Quick delivery of your intended message is rendered possible through video marketing. Video ads tend to dominate today’s news feeds and websites. Placement of video ads is also highly important.
From explaining the features of your product/service to having celebrities and influencers advertise your product; video ads can do it all.
- Short, high-quality videos can make rounds through all social media platforms. 64% of people who watch video advertisements on Facebook tend to make a purchase.
- Video advertising is a rather creative arena. You can play around with it and create a script and think out of the box. Innovative ideas click! It can fasten your brand name into a household one.
- With more video advertisements, people tend to spend more time on business websites.Video advertisements can thus increase search engine rankings as they lead more people into your forum and builds a trustworthy relationship with your customers.
These are not all. There is so much more to online advertising. All you need to do before you chart your advertising strategy is recognize which method suits your website, business and target audience the best and invest wisely. Well-rounded research can do double the job random investments do.
Get in there and browse through to understand how you can build a more solid customer base. Analysing your competitors’ strategies are also good; not to copy their methods, but to stand unique and avoid repetition.
If you have questions on the right online marketing strategy to choose, we will be happy to be at your aid. Leave us a comment below.